Here’s A Complete List of The Places To Visit In Kerala And The Things To Do!
There’s a lot more to Kerala than just beaches, backwaters, lakes, and houseboats. Travel enthusiasts are spot on when they say that Kerala is one of those places that has something for everyone. Be it trekking, mountain biking, amusement parks the tea museums, and more. Kerala is a treat to your mind, body, and soul. Here is the list of popular sightseeing places in Kerala with pictures
Kerala Tourism was also recommended among CNN Travel’s 19 places to visit in 2019 , Lonely Planet as one of the must visit family destinations to visit in 2019
We will be talking about the following places to visit in Kerala…
Feel free to jump to the details of any location by simply clicking on the name. Though we’d strongly recommend you read about them all!
- Athirapally Falls
Alright… then let’s begin our journey, shall we?
- Munnar – Enjoy Tea Gardens and Greenery
Munnar is a hill station located in Idukki district of Kerala. Once the summer capital of the Britishers, Munnar is now famous for the tea gardens and the tea museum. It is also one of the most popular honeymoon destinations and one of the places to visit in Kerala for 3 days. Munnar is one of the best places to visit in Kerala in October & November
Munnar tops the list among the best Places to Visit in Kerala
The nearest airport from Munnar is the port city of Kochi — also called Queen Of The Arabian Sea.
Best Sightseeing Places In Munnar
Munnar has many amazing places including the tea gardens, mountain peaks, wildlife safari, etc. Eravikulam National Park:
- It’s Kerala’s first national park. This park is famous for the native Nilgiri tahr or the Ibex — a goat-like endangered species. The park closes from Feb till March end every year, during the breeding season of the Tahrs.
- To visit the deeper parts of the park, one is required to scale on foot. Hence, the place is not suitable for the elderly or those traveling with kids.
- The main attractions here are the dam and the lake. The place is also known as “Cattle Village” which came from the famous Indo-Swiss farm project.
- A place surrounded by tea, coffee, and cardamom plantations, it is best suited for adventure seekers and nature lovers.
Kanan Devan Tea Museum:
- Tata Tea established this tea museum here in 2005. Various stages of tea processing can be witnessed here including the making of black tea.
- A demonstration room for tea tastingis the main attraction here.
- It is one of the highest mountain peaks situated in the Western Ghat ranges of Idukki district.
- Do note, tourists aren’t allowed to trek to Anamudi anymore, to conserve the delicate biodiversity of the region!
Another place worth visiting is Kolukkumalai, which is considered to be the highest tea estate in the world! You will need a 4×4 ride, which can be booked from the hotel you are staying at. It is recommended to opt for an overnight stay at the estate for the sheer experience of being amidst the clouds!
Don’t forget to take in the majestic views at Top Station! Around 32 km from Munnar, on the Munnar-Kodaikanal road, it is definitely worth a visit!
Best Place To Stay In Munnar
You can find a range of hotels, resorts, and homestays in Munnar. If you are looking to enjoy its natural beauty, choose resorts in Chinnakanal, Pallivasal, or Chittirapuram. Here are a few quick guidelines to help you choose one that’s just right for you!
- If you are a budget traveler and are more interested in sightseeing and exploring every possible inch of Munnar, it’s ideal to select budget hotels with basic amenities. You must be willing to compromise on factors such as cleanliness and service.
- Since you are visiting a scenic hill station, it only makes sense to choose a hotel with a great location. Now, you can either choose the ones on the outskirts, where you will be closer to nature, or you could choose one closer to the city, or to most of the nearby attractions.If you have aged people traveling with you, you might want to avoid hotels that far away from the city center, and also the ones that are built on a height!
- The type of rooms matters too. The usual types are standard, superior, and deluxe. Choose one that suits your preferences best!
- Food is an inextricable part of travel. For instance, if you are looking for Jain food, you might need to choose a hotel that serves it. Additionally, make sure you choose the right meal plan based on your itinerary.
Best Time To Visit Munnar
As said, Munnar is a Hill station and the weather is quite pleasant throughout the year. Still, the best times are:
- Summers (March to May).
- Winters (Sep . to Feb).
How To Reach Munnar?
Munnar is situated on the Kannan Devan Hills Village in Devikulam and it is well-connected by the National Highways as well as the state highways and rural roads too.
- Railway stations: Ernakulam Railway station (125 km), Aluva railway station (108 km) and Udumalaipettai (Tamil Nadu) Railway station (85 km).
- Airport: Cochin International Airport which is 110 km away from Munnar.
Famous Food/Restaurants To Try In Munnar
It is a one-stop destination for both the vegetarians as well as non- vegetarians alike. Some Famous Street foods and the food outlets are:
- Saravana Bhawan for the best Appam and Stew.
- Rapsy Restaurant is for the best Puttu & Kadala Curry, Beef fry & Malabar Parotta.
- Guru’s Restaurant is the best place to have Nadan Kozhi Varuthathuaka Spicy Chicken Fry.
- Rochas Restaurant for a greatAri Pattari & Chicken Curry.
Where To Shop In Munnar?
If you want your fix of the aromatic spices, Munnar is known for its vast range of herbal products. Here’s a list of shops you should definitely pay a visit to:
- Marakkar Shopping center
- Krishna’s Shopping Mall
- Mattupetty Dam Market
- Aranya Naturals, Greenland Spice Supermarket
- Kanan Devan Hills Plantations
Outdoor Activities In Munnar
Munnar is one of the top places for adventure lovers to feed their souls with breathtaking activities. Here one can enjoy:
- Treehouse stays.
- Camping & Trekking at Echo Point, Top Stationis the highest point in Munnar and gives a stunning view of the town.
- At Suryanelli,you can have the best Mountain Biking experience of your life. You can also hire a cycle or motorcycle from some rental services like Gokulam Bike Hire & KDHP house in Idukki District.
- Munnar Rock Climbing & Rappelling,Forest Adventure Park is a one-of-a-kind amusement park in Munnar for some moderately adventurous activities.
- Kundala Lakeoffers peaceful and relaxing Shikara rides for you.
Nearest Places To Travel From Munnar
- Thekkady — 95 KM
- Alappuzha (Alleppey) — 172 KM
- Kochi — 131 KM
- Thrissur — 158 KM
- Kodaikanal — 163 KM
- Kochi – Blend of Modern City and Heritage Flavor from British, Arabian, Portugese & Chinese
Fort Kochi, Kerala, India – Chinese fishing nets and fishing boats in Fort Kochi, Kerala, IndiaKochi is home to the oldest European church in India – once said to house the remains of Vasco Da Gama! Kochi is not known as the ‘Queen of the Arabian Sea’ for nothing! It used to be an important trade center and has retained the charms of the many cultures that influenced it. It is pretty much a cornucopia for travelers interested in food, history, and beaches. Not to forget the unique Chinese fishing nets or cheenavala that are only found in this gem of a place! Munnar is one of the best places to visit in Kerala in December
Best Sightseeing Places In Kochi
- Located in a water-bound region of mainland Kochi, Fort Kochi reflects the culture of all those who have occupied it through the centuries.
- Some of the must-visit spots are Fort Immanuel, Dutch Cemetery, David Hall, Vasco House, etc.
- Don’t miss the Francis Church – built in 1503, it is a mute witness to the colonial struggle India has experienced!
- Around 34 km from Kochi, Cherai beach is one of the best beaches for a swim and for enjoying a pleasant sunset!
- It has a long coastline that stretches for almost 15 km.
- It is a Portuguese Palace, popularly known as Dutch Palace.
- It has some incredibly detailed murals depicting scenes from epics like Ramayana and Mahabharata, along with the fine works of Sanskrit poet Kalidasa.
- This is heaven for antique lovers.
- Don’t miss visiting the Paradesi synagogue and stopping at Sarah’s Hand Embroidery shop. The shop is owned by Sarah Cohen, India’s oldest surviving Jew!
Kochi – Muziris Biennale
- It is an International art exhibition held in Kochi, every two years around Xmas & New Year.
- It is the largest exhibition in India and the biggest Contemporary festival in Asia.
- Along with the exhibition the Biennale offers a rich programme of seminars, screenings, talks, music, workshops, and educational activities for students.
If you are particularly fond of history, you can also check out the Muziris Heritage Project!
Best Place To Stay In Kochi
If you wish to savor the true flavors of Kochi, choose a hotel in the Fort Kochi area!
Best Time To Visit Kochi
Kochi gets hot during the summers… like REALLY HOT! Kochi is beautiful during the monsoons too, but the ruthless rains often bring the city to a halt. It’s best to travel to Kochi during the winter months of October – February if you want to explore it in its entirety!
How To Reach Kochi?
- Air: The Air Gateway to Kochi is Cochin International Airportwhich is 44 Km away from Fort Kochi. It is also the World’s only fully solar energy powered
- Rail: Kochi is connected to four major Railway stations and these are: Ernakulam Junction (7 km), Ernakulam Town, Aluva (28 km), and Tripunithura (14 km).
- Road: Kochi is well connected to National Highways and State Highways that connects it to other states and cities of Kerala.
Famous Food/Restaurants To Try In Kochi
Kochi has an exclusive range of Cafes and restaurants to treat your palette.
Here are some of the best places:
- Sky Grill Lounge Bar & Restaurant for a soothing Rooftop setting. The Speciality here is Grilled Salmon, Pork rib, Kebabs, and heavenly Cocktails.
- Fort House Restaurant for a Waterfront location. You must try Pork Vindaloo, Appams, Kerala Chicken Curry & Mango Lassi
- Asian Kitchen for the best Pan Asian Cuisine. The specialty of this place is Sushi, Chicken Skewer, and Dimsum Platter.
- The Rice Boat is set on a Floating Boat and famous for it’s Fish Grill and Crab soup.
Where To Shop In Kochi?
Kochi is famous for its exquisite silver and gold jewelry, as well as its silk emporiums. These are the few places you can shop from:
- Lulu Shopping Mall
- Bazaar Road
- Oberon Mall
- MG Road
- Jewel Junction
Kochi is a hotspot for water sports in Kerala. Here you can enjoy almost all the water adventure sports and be named:
- Catamaran ride
- Knee Boarding
- Scuba Diving
- Kayaking Class, it’s one of the most adrenaline spiking water sports of all time and here you can get trained under a professional instructor.
- Water Skiing, Imagine yourself skiing but instead of snow, you would be flying on the water here. Excited? Add it to your bucket list!
- Speed Boat
Nearest Places To Travel From Kochi
- Alleppey – 63 KM
- Kumarakom – 56 KM
- Idukki – 105 KM
- Kottayam – 63 KM
- Thrissur – 81 KM
- Thekkady – Most Popular Wild Life Sanctuary in Kerala
Thekkady’s scenic beauty along with its wildlife can be viewed in a boat ride in the lake
Doesn’t admiring wildlife whilst cruising along the length of a lake sound like a treat? Well then… you are going to love Thekkady which is one of the tourist places to visit in kerala for 2 days!
Home to the Periyar Tiger Reserve, Thekkady offers you the quintessential lap of nature to explore and enjoy! If you are looking for adventure, this is the place you definitely shouldn’t miss!
Best Sightseeing Places In Thekkady
Periyar National Park:
- Spread over 357 sq.kms of land, Periyar National Park is well-known as a tiger and elephant reserve.
- One of the attractions in the reserve is sighting wildlife aboard a boat on the Periyar lake!
The boat ride is a popular tourist activity anymore! Since the boats have a large seating capacity, it can get pretty noisy and crowded in peak season. Opt for a bamboo rafting ride instead if you like a little bit of adventure – make sure you book it in advance since the capacity is limited.
- Gavi is secret Kerala’s been hiding for a while now! It is an eco-tourism site known for its untainted natural beauty, and a birdwatcher’s paradise (more than 260 species).
- You can take a safari, go for a boat ride, or visit the local plantation. One of the highlights is the Sabarimala viewpoint, that offers an amazing view of the well-known pilgrimage center amidst the lush vegetation!
- Almost a thousand years old, this ancient temple hidden in the dense forest of Periyar.
- The temple is not opened throughout the year, hence you can only visit here during theChitrapur Nami festival which falls in the months of April/May.
- To make this trip to Mangaladevi, you’ll need to seek prior permission from the wildlife warden of Thekkady.
- It is a beautiful hill station which was once home to the Sufi Saint Peer Mohammed.
- Peermedu offers a versatile landscape of waterfalls and plantations and is ideal for trekking, cycling, and horse riding.
The 120 years old Surki Dam built across Periyar is a major tourist attraction here.
Best Place To Stay In Thekkady
Thekkady offers versatile options when it comes to accommodation. You can even choose to stay in a tree house or an eco-adventure camp
If you are looking for a more conventional stay, make sure you choose the location well. Choose a hotel INSIDE the Periyar reserve – for better opportunities for sighting some wildlife!
Some of the best hotels in Thekkady are at Kumily Thekkady Road, Munnar Kumily Highway, Thekkady Junction, Ramakkalmedu, Vandiperiyar Bridge and Kuttikanam.
Best Time To Visit Thekkady
The ideal time to visit Thekkady is during winters and Monsoon.
- October to February
- June to September
However, if you are truly interested in sighting a tiger, you might want to brave the summers from March to May – this is the best time for wildlife spotting!
How To Reach Thekkady?
- Air: The nearest airport is Madurai Airport– 136 KM and Kochi Airport- 163 KM
- Rail: Thekkady lacks its own railway station and the nearest station is Kottayam station– approx 110 km
- Road: It is the most preferred way to travel to Thekkady. You have two options either local state department Buses or Car.
Famous Food/Restaurants To Try In Thekkady
Some famous food outlets in Thekkady are:
- All Spice Restaurantfor Steaming idlis, Puttu and the Spicy fish currywith rice.
- Peppermint Restaurantfor its Appam and Stew.
- Dosa De Thekkadyis known for the most innovative dosas in a town like Paneer Dosa, Chicken Tikka Dosa, and Chicken Chettinad Dosa,
Where To Shop In Thekkady?
Thekkady is well renowned for its Spice Market. You can take home all kinds of masalas from here be it tea, fish or tandoori, etc. Some highly recommended places to shop from are:
- Abraham’s Spice Garden
- Periyar Spice & Ayurvedic Garden
- Hindustan Spices & Herbals
- Pattumalay Tea Factory
- Hilltop Spices
- Greenworld Spices & Herbals
- Spice Inn etc.
Outdoor Activities In Thekkady
If you are looking for an adrenaline rush, indulge in these adventurous activities at Thekkady.
- Boating Tours
- Bamboo Rafting & Hiking
- Border Hiking
- Jungle Hight Patrol
- Tribal Walks
- Spice Plantations
- Elephant Rides
- Jeep Safari
- Follow The Tiger with ex-poachers
- Thekkady Sightseeing Tours
And don’t worry about those aching bones and joints… you can always opt for a traditional massage after your day of fun! There are a lot of massage parlors that offer relaxing full body massages right outside the gates to the reserve.
Nearest Places To Travel From Thekkady
Alleppey – 138 KM
Kumarakom – 116 KM
- Kumarakom– Little backwater hamlet with exotic scenery famous for houseboats
Kumarakom gives you experiences like relaxing while sipping on tender coconut water, tasting some authentic Kerala food and experiencing the warmth of fresh air.
Looking for a picture perfect destination to lie back and enjoy some peace and quiet? Nothing better than dreamy Kumarakom! Situated near the Vembanad Lake, Kumarakom is a cozy spot with exotic scenery and rare flora & fauna.
Fun Fact: Ayemenem town, where the famous book of Arundhati Roy, The God Of Small Things is set, adjoins Kumarakom!
Best Sightseeing Places In Kumarakom
Kumarakom Bird Sanctuary:
- It is one of the most popular bird sanctuaries in the country spread across 14 hectares.
- Home to a variety of migratory birds like waterfowl, Cuckoo, Owl, Water Duck, Siberian Cranes, Parrots, Teal, Larks, Flycatchers, and Wood Beatles.
- An ideal picnic spot where the water roars falling down the mountains from the height of 100 ft.
- Mary’s church is located at the top of the waterfalls.
- The longest lake in India, Vembanad stands out with prominent backwaters offering boating and fishing options.
- Onam brings new life to the place with its stunning snake boat races.
- This place is on Natgeo’s list of world destinations. Natgeo claims that this place is best visited at dusk!
- You can only visit here by boats.
Bay Island Driftwood Museum:
- It’s a collection of unique superior quality driftwood sculptures with very high artistic value.
- Many of the pieces closely resemble birds, reptiles, animals, amphibians and fishes.
Best Place To Stay In Kumarakom
Like they say, “When in Rome, do as the Romans do.”
To experience Kumarakom’s backwaters in all their splendor, it is ideal to stay in a houseboat. You can either choose one for a day cruise or an overnight stay. Here are the different kinds of houseboats available:
- Houseboats with Double Decks
- Houseboats with Sun Deck
- Houseboats without Upper Decks
Additionally, you can choose from between standard, deluxe/premium, and luxury/super deluxe houseboats.
Best Time To Visit Kumarakom
Summers can be unforgiving in Kerala! But, if you can brave it, then anytime between August and May is a good time to visit the tranquil backwaters of Kumarakom.
How To Reach Kumarakom?
- Air: Cochin International Airport – 85 KM
- Rail: Kottayam Railway Station – 16 KM
- Road: Numerous KSRTC buses are plying from Kottayam to Kumarakom.
- Water: By Boat from Muhamma (a town near Alleppey – around 21 km)
Famous Food/Restaurants To Try In Kumarakom
If you are looking for a local meal, don’t miss visiting the Dubai Hotel, Lakshmi, and Lakesong!
Where To Shop In Kumarakom?
It’s a one-stop destination for the antique lovers. Here you can find a huge variety of jewelry and ethnic hand-woven textiles too. You can simply shop at the street markets!
Outdoor Activities In Kumarakom
Kumarakom offers a host of other activities like Fishing, Wind Sailing, and Waterskiing!
Nearest Places To Travel From Kumarakom
Vagamon – 55 KM
Kottayam – 13 KM
Kochi – 70 KM
Pathiramanal Island – 18 KM
- Alleppey– Unique Backwater Destination in Kerala
Alleppey is the most famous backwater destination in Kerala
The hub of Kerala’s backwaters and The Venice Of The East – that’s Alappuzha for you!
If thrilling boat races or staying in a charming houseboat gets you all excited, you’ve got to visit this little heaven in Kerala.
Best Sightseeing Places In Alleppey
Ambalapuzha Sree Krishna Temple:
- The temple is said to be built during the 15th-17th centuries.
- It is famous for the ‘Ambalapuzha Palpayasam’, a sweet porridge prepared using rice, milk, and sugar.
International Coir Museum:
- This museum showcases the traditional development processes of coir spinning and the development of the coir industry.
- It has a huge network of freshwater rivers, meandering lakes & lagoons.
- TheNehru Trophy Boat Price event takes place here, in August every year.
- The Alappuzha Lighthouse is also a popular tourist attraction.
St. Mary’s Forane Church:
- It is one of the oldest churches, established around 427 AD.
Best Place To Stay In Alleppey
If you are looking for a surreal experience, choose a stay at Thrikkunnapuzha, Marari, Kumarakom, or Punnamada.
Best Time To Visit Alleppey
Except the monsoons (and if you can bear the summer heat), you can visit Alleppey whenever you’re in the mood to get away from the city!
How To Reach Alleppey?
- Air: Cochin International Airport – 75 Km
- Rail: Alleppey Railway Station – within the city limits
- Road: Buses run by Kerala State Transport Corporation. The city is well connected to NH 47.
Famous Food/Restaurants To Try In Alleppey
The best of places offering yummilicious food are:
- Floating Market for The Kerala Sadya (a Platter), Idli Sambhar, Fried or Grilled Shrimp, and Malabar Biryani.
- Canal Bazaar for Puttu & Kadala, Idiyappam, Ela Ada, Semiya Payasam.
- Near Alappuzha Beach try out some Kanji & Payar, Illanur & kallu.
Where To Shop In Alleppey?
Choose from a wide range of spices, coir, and carpets from these popular shops!
- Thomas’ Fine Arts
- Khadi Gramodyog Bhavan
- Pulickatti Handicrafts
- Canal Bazaar
- Mullakkal Street
- Floating Triveni (get a hands-on experience to shop on a Boat)
Outdoor Activities In Alleppey
- Backwater Houseboat Cruise
- Sunset Pozhiyoram
- Kerala Kayaking
- Earth routes
- Kerala Bicycle Trips
- Paddy Land Tours
- Alleppey Backwater Cruises
Nearest Places To Travel From Alleppey
Kovalam – 159 Km
Kumarakom – 36 Km
- Kovalam- Beach town with a grove of coconut trees
Fishermen Boats in Kovalam, Kerala, India
A popular ‘hippie’ hangout in the 70s, Kovalam is now a quiet beach town with three splendid crescent-shaped beaches – Hawah, Lighthouse, and Samudra.
If you a beach that’s not necessarily pristine, but offers a multitude of activities (including a surf club), Kovalam should be on your ‘must visit’ list!
Best Sightseeing Places In Kovalam
- It’s the most popular crescent-shaped beach of Kovalam offering a wide range of food outlets dotted around the shoreline and many beach sports to treat your adventurous soul.
- The30 m tall lighthouse erected on the Kurumkal hill right along the beach is a major attraction here.
- Also named as Gravity dam, it is located on the Neyyar river surrounded by forests.
- The renownedSivananda Yoga Vedanta Dhanwantari Ashram for yoga & meditation practices is situated here.
- This place also offers wildlife safari and boating on all daysexcept on Mondays.
- Situated opposite the Lighthouse shoreline, this beach looks extremely gorgeous around dawn & dusk.
- You can go sunbathing or enjoy a thrilling Catamaran ride!
- The water current is strong hence it is not advised to swim here.
Vizhinjam Marine Research Museum
- Officially known as Sagarika marine research aquarium, the place houses rare aquatic species like Squirrelfish, Clownfish, Moon Wrasse, Lionfish, Giant turtles, etc.
- You got this extreme passion towards the sea, the place is a must visit and super informative.
- Besides this, it is also famous for the image pearl technique, which uses shell cement to create pearls in particular shapes.
Best Place To Stay In Kovalam
Once a calm fishing village clustered around its crescent beaches and backed by a sea of cascading palms, Kovalam home to various exotic beach resorts and hotels around the seashore.
For the best options, choose a hotel in the Lighthouse area!
Best Time To Visit Kovalam
The temperature being moderate, winters (November – February) are the ideal time to visit Kovalam.
How To Reach Kovalam?
- Air: Nearest airport is Trivandrum Airport – 14 Km
- Rail: Thiruvananthapuram Central Railway Station – 13 Km
- Road: Private buses or Buses run by KSRTC.
Famous Food/Restaurants To Try In Kovalam
Home to numerous beaches, Kovalam offers a wide range of seafood and multi-cuisine restaurants. The most preferred spots are:
- Varsha for the mouthwatering vegetarian food like spicy masala dosasor Pumpkin- and – Spinach curry.
- Fusion for the Chilli pesto pastaand Lobster steamed in Vodka.
- Suprabhatam forPuttu and Coconut Uttapam.
- Malabar Cafe for fresh seafoodand Tandoori faves like Paneer Tikka.
- Waves Restaurant & German Bakery forThai Curry, German Sausages, Croissants & French pressed coffee.
Where To Shop In Kovalam?
Statues made of teakwood and rosewood make for souvenirs.
Best places to shop:
- Kovalam Beach
- SM Handloom Center
- Joseph & Sons Shop
- Varkala Beach
Outdoor Activities In Kovalam
- Yoga Classes are offered at many places around Lighthouse Beachincluding
- Ayurvedic Massages
- Boat Rides
- Gramam (Kerala) Village Fair, based on an interesting concept of recreating the entire village based on the bygone days of rural Kerala.
Nearest Places To Travel From Kovalam
Trivandrum – 16 KM
Varkala – 69 KM
Kollam – 87 KM
Ponmudi – 77 KM
Padmanabhapuram Palace – 53 KM
- Trivandrum – Capital City of Kerala with the richest temple in the world
Thiruvananthapuram, India – Padmanabhaswamy temple was built in the Dravidian style and principal deity Vishnu is enshrined in it.
Welcome to Kerala’s buzzing capital! Trivandrum is home to Sri Padmanabhaswamy Temple, the world’s richest temple and India’s first IT park, Technopark, making it an interesting mix of tradition and modernity.
If you are looking for an enchanting combination of experiences that range from adventure to history to a love for scenic locations, Trivandrum is the place to be!
Best Sightseeing Places In Trivandrum
Sri Padmanabhaswamy Temple:
- According to the Bhagavad Gita, the great Balarama visited the temple, bathed in Padmatheertham and made offerings to the Lord.
- Visitors need to follow a strict dress code to enter the temple.
Kuthiramalika Palace Museum:
- The museum is based on the Indo-Saracenic styles of architecture and one of the most visited art & natural history museums in India.
- It also has one of the oldest zoological gardens in its premises which is a treat to kids as well as the adults.
- The beach runs next to the Trivandrum airport and is well known for its pristine water and soulful sunsets.
- The residence of the great Maharaja Swathi Thirunalstands as an iconic monument in the history of Kerala.
- The palace is known for Swathi Sangeethotsavam, an annual music festival held from 4th Jan – 13th Jan, every year.
Best Place To Stay In Trivandrum
If you want a peaceful stay, you can choose resorts near Kovalam or Chowara.
Best Time To Visit Trivandrum
Like all other places in Kerala, summers can get incredibly taxing, while the monsoons are unpredictable.
The best time to visit would be the pleasant winters (October – February).
How To Reach Trivandrum?
- Air: Thiruvananthapuram International Airport
- Rail: Trivandrum Central Railway Station
- Road: KSRTC provides excellent bus service including premium & luxury buses.
Famous Food/Restaurants To Try In Trivandrum
- Villa Maya for expertly crafted Kerala Cuisine and dishes like a stuffed crab with lobster butter.
- Indian Coffee Housefor strong coffee and omelets.
- Zenzero is a cafe bistro famous for Chocolate sizzler brownies.
- Azadfor Molee ( fish pieces in coconut sauce ) and Prawn masala.
Where To Shop In Trivandrum?
From handloom fabrics, wood & brass carvings, to spices you can find everything at these places:
- Chalai Market
- Sarwan Lifestyle
- Stacy International
- Saphalyam Complex
- Ramachandran Textiles
- MG Road
- McAdils Antiques
Outdoor Activities In Trivandrum
- Poovar Backwater Cruise
- Trekking to Anamudi Peak
Nearest Places To Travel From Trivandrum
Alleppey – 153 Km
Kovalam – 13 Km
Kumarakom – 164 Km
Kollam – 69 Km
Kanyakumari – 85 Km
- Wayanad– Land of Paddy Fields and Heartshaped Lake
Wayanad in Kerala
Wayanad is home to the Banasura Sagar Dam, the largest earth dam in India, and the second largest in Asia!
Part of the Nilgiri Biosphere Reserve, Wayanad offers a lush landscape dotted with rice paddies, betel nut trees, bamboo, eucalyptus, and rubber trees! A great place to spot wildlife, especially wild elephants, Wayanad is one location you can visit throughout the year.
Best Sightseeing Places In Wayanad
- Edakkal has exquisite rock & wall carvings belonging to the Neolithic and Mesolithic ages.
- You will need to trek for about an hour to reach the caves. You can visit them anytime between 9.30 am and 4.30 pm.
Banasura Sagar Dam:
- Built with the aim of aiding the Kakkayam Hydroelectric project, the dam makes for a great picnic spot!
- The trek offering spectacular vistas and the speedboat ride are not to be missed!
- One of the highest locations in Wayanad, it is often called the ‘Gateway of Wayanad’.
- While it is famous for the variety of birds and animals one can spot here, Lakkidi has some spooky tales to offer too – namely, the chain tree!(We won’t give it away! After all, there should be an element of surprise when you visit the place!)
Sentinel Rock Falls:
- Also known as Soochipara falls, they are truly a treat for the eyes!
- You need to trek downwards for around 30 minutes to reach the pool.
Best Place To Stay In Wayanad
Wayanad has a lot of options in terms of accommodation, right from budget to luxury.
You can either look for hotels in the Kalpetta, Mananthavady, or Bathery areas.
Best Time To Visit Wayanad
You can visit Wayanad anytime since the climate remains pleasant throughout the year!
How To Reach Wayanad?
- Air: Calicut International Airport – 65 Km
- Rail: Kozhikode Railway Station – 110 Km
- Road: KSRTC Buses
Famous Food/Restaurants To Try In Wayanad
- Jubilee Rest forAvial, Payasam, Vellarikka Khichdi.
- Clayhut A Village Restaurant for typical Regional Cuisine.
- The Royal Hotpanfor Chemmeen Roast, Chicken Biryani.
- Udupi Pure Vegetarian Restaurantfor typical South Indian food like Dosas, Idli & Sambar and Curd Rice.
Where To Shop In Wayanad?
Some of the things you can shop for are spices, coffee, tea, bamboo and coconut articles, ivory, cane, and wood. Buy them from here:
- Trident Arcade
- Dubai Shopping Center
- Easwaran Namboothiri
- Santhi Pappadam
Outdoor Activities In Wayanad
- Trek to Chembra Peak
- Visit Edakkal Cave
- Explore Tea Estates
- Visit the Kuruva Islands on bamboo rafts
- Jeep safari at Wayanad and Muthanga Wildlife Sanctuaries
Nearest Places To Travel From Wayanad
Kozhikode – 67 Km
Coorg – 165 Km
Ooty – 105 Km
Mysore – 140 Km
Floating Cottages in Poovar Backwaters
If you are looking for solitude, this little gem located between the Arabian Sea and the Neyyar River is where you should be heading to!
What makes Poovar stand out is that it’s an estuary where beach, island, river, and sea meet each other. The epitome of unspoiled beauty, you can reach here in just about 45 minutes from Trivandrum.
9.Best Sightseeing Places In Poovar
- With golden sand separating the backwaters from the sea, Poovar beach is quite unique.
- Swimming is restricted here due to strong currents.
- These are man-made falls, surrounded by green foliage and unique flora and fauna.
- There’s a small temple dedicated to Shiva at the entrance.
- Vizhinjam has scenic, white sand beaches and a rock-cut cave with a shrine dedicated to Vinandhara Dakshinamurti.
- There’s also a marine aquarium that draws in countless tourists!
Best Place To Stay In Poovar
The main attraction here is Poovar Island Resort. It has 86 cottages offering a range of accommodation options like:
- Maharaja suite
- Superior land cottage
- Premium land cottage
- Floating Cottage
There are two other upmarket properties you can choose from – Isola de cocco and Estuary Island Resort!
Best Time To Visit Poovar
The best time to enjoy Poovar’s pleasures is during the winters (October – February).
How To Reach Poovar?
- Air: Thiruvananthapuram Airport – 30 Km
- Rail: Thiruvananthapuram Station – 27 Km
- Road: State Government Buses from Trivandrum – 27 Km
Famous Food/Restaurants To Try In Poovar
Dining options available at Poovar Island resort are:
- Tiffin’s Restaurant for Indian, Continental, and Chinese.
- Kappa Bar serves wine, fresh juices, and mocktails, etc.
- Ayurveda Restaurant exclusively serves only diet food that is advised by your Ayurvedic doctor.
Where To Shop In Poovar?
You must check out the exquisite range of footwear, carpets, artificial jewelry and dhurries, at these places:
- Kairali Handicrafts
- Shalimar Weaves
Outdoor Activities In Poovar
- Backwater Canal Cruise
- Bird Watching
- Snake Boat races
Nearest Places To Travel From Poovar
Kovalam – 17 Km
Thiruvananthapuram – 28 Km
Ponmudi – 69 Km
Varkala – 75 Km
- Kannur– Amalgamation of Heritage, Beaches and Hills
Theyyam is a popular art form in Kannur
Kannur is popularly known as the ‘Land of Looms and Lores’ for its handloom industry and rich art and culture.
Cradled between the Western Ghats in the east and the Lakshadweep sea in the west, Kannur is blessed with natural beauty. With picturesque beaches, hill stations, and backwaters, it offers versatile experiences to the discerning traveler.
Best Sightseeing Places In Kannur
Muzhappilangad Drive-in Beach:
- India’s longest drive-in beach (around 4 kms), it is also a ‘swimmer’s paradise’.
- Don’t forget to visit Dharmadam island, a few kms away from the beach. During low tide, you can actually walk to it!
St. Angelo’s Fort:
- Built by the first Portuguese viceroy in India, St. Angelo’s fort was built in 1505.
- It offers fascinating views of Moplah bay and Dharmadam island.
Arakkal Kettu Museum:
- It was the residence of the only Muslim Royal family in Kerala, the Arakkal Ali Rajas.
- The museum exhibits the artefacts, the royal copies of the Holy Quran, an old fashioned telephone, swords and daggers used by the rulers.
Best Place To Stay In Kannur
The best places to look for a hotel would be Parassinikadavu, Thottada Beach, Payyambalam, Kuthuparamba, and Thavakkara.
Best Time To Visit Kannur
The best time to visit Kannur is during the winters (October – February)
How To Reach Kannur?
- Air: Kannur International Airport
- Rail: Kannur Railway Station
- Road: KSRTC Buses
Famous Food/Restaurants To Try In Kannur
- Chiffonetsfor Chinese and Indian cuisines.
- Hotel Odhensfor original Kerala food.
- MVK Restaurantfor Malabar Biryani
- Raandhal Restaurantspecializes in Malabar cuisine, Continental, Seafoods and many more food items.
Where To Shop In Kannur?
Kannur is renowned for its local crafts, textiles and gold jewellery. These are the places you need to head to for shopping!
- Kannur Mall
- Thana Square Mall
- Mukund Mall
- Rajdhani Supermarket
- Akshaya Fabrics
Outdoor Activities In Kannur
- Trek to Paithalmala
- Exhilarating Bike Trip to Kavvayi Beach
- Power Boating
Nearest Places To Travel From Kannur
Kozhikode – 81 Km
Mangalore – 125 Km
Mysore – 148 Km
Thrissur – 176 Km
- Best Sightseeing Places In Bekal
- The largest fort in Kerala (rising to about 130 ft above sea level) is surrounded by a beautiful beach.
- The major attraction of this keyhole-shaped fort is Anjaneya temple located at the entrance.
Bekal fort was declared as a ‘Special Tourism Area’ by the Government of India in 1992.
Nityanand Ashram Caves:
- A set of 45 caves containing the Panchaloha sculpture of Swami Nityananda, are surely worth a visit.
Best Place To Stay In Bekal
To enjoy the solitude and a peaceful stay The Bekal Beach Resort and Spa is recommended!
Best Time To Visit Bekal
Visit Bekal during the winters (November to February).
How To Reach Bekal?
- Air: Mangalore Airport – 50 Km
- Rail: Kasargod Railway Station – 12 Km
- Road: Kasargod Bus Station – 12 Km
Famous Food/Restaurants To Try In Bekal
- By the Bay for seafood
Where To Shop In Bekal?
Some famous markets around here:
- Maya Bazaar
- Mall of India
- NH shopping Complex
- Deira city shopping
- Neeleshwar market
Outdoor Activities In Bekal
- River Rafting
Nearest Places To Travel From Bekal
Mangalore – 57 Km
Kodayu – 88 Km
Mysore – 183 Km
Marari Beach is an undeveloped stretch of white sand bordered by palm trees and sleepy fishing villages.
Marari is a sleepy fishing village that is less crowded and is home to one of the most beautiful, unspoiled beaches in Kerala. Marari Beach just 2 kilometers away from Allepey which is famous for the best backwaters in Kerala, so it’s easy to combine a backwater cruise with a beach stay and see the two best sides of Kerala. Mararai is not much crowded like Kovalam and Varkala and is a long, undeveloped stretch of white sand bordered by palm trees and sleepy fishing villages. You can see the boats lined all over the coastline and can also watch fishermen going to the seas to catch daily fish in dawn. Marari has some of the best beach resorts in Kerala which are either beside the beach or just walking distance away. Marari beach is of the ‘endless-golden-sands-where-you-won’t -see-a-soul’ variety, usually touted for their peace and quiet of beaches
12.Best Sightseeing Places In Marari
- Marari beach is an unspoiled white sand beach, where you can enjoy certain water-based activities!
Best Place To Stay In Marari
The best option to enjoy the beauty of this place is to stay at the beach resorts around Marari beach.
Best Time To Visit Marari
Avoid visiting during the monsoons. The best time to visit is from September to May!
How To Reach Marari?
- Air: Kochi International Airport – 74 km
- Rail: Alleppey Railway Station – 16 Km
- Road: KSRTC Buses
Famous Food/Restaurants To Try In Marari
- Hotel Hot Kitchen is famous for pure vegetarian local food.
- Indian Coffee House for the delicious authentic curries.
- Apsara Hotel for the best fish fry and fish curry.
- Cafe Paradiso Espresso Coffee Bar is the one and only coffee bar here, which serves real Italian coffee, organic teas, and fresh juices.
Where To Shop In Marari?
Some of the markets you can check out are:
- SL Puram Market
- Kalavoor Market
- Mayithara Market
- Muhamma Market
Outdoor Activities In Marari
- Sea surfing
- Water skiing
- Deep sea fishing
Nearest Places To Travel From Marari
Alleppey – 16 Km
Kottayam – 42 Km
Cochin – 55 Km
13.Best Sightseeing Places In Kozhikode
- This place is known for its enchanting sunsets.
- You can also spot some dolphins, at Dolphin’s Point, near the beach.
Kadalundi Bird Sanctuary:
- The sanctuary is home to 60 migratory and more than a hundred native birds.
Best Place To Stay In Kozhikode
You can choose a stay at Kozhikode beach, Kappad beach, Mavoor Road, Palayam, or Calicut Byepass Road.
Best Time To Visit Kozhikode
The best time to visit Kozhikode is during the winters (October to February).
How To Reach Kozhikode?
- Air: Calicut International Airport
- Rail: Kozhikode Railway Station
- Road: Kozhikode Bus Station
Famous Food/Restaurants To Try In Kozhikode
Some most famous dishes here to be named are:
- Erachi Pathiri (Soft rice bread with meat fillings)
- Kozhikode Pav Bhaji (Special Chicken gravy fillings)
- Aradika (Rice flour & mussel)
- Kulukki Sarbath (Lemonade)
- Mutta Mala & Mutta Surka
Where To Shop In Kozhikode?
Kozhikode is a major center for garments and handwoven textiles.
You can buy them here:
- Sweat Meat Market
- Comtrust Store
- Focus Mall
- Grand Hi Street Mall
- Emerald Mall
Outdoor Activities In Kozhikode
Nearest Places To Travel From Kozhikode
Thrissur- 95 Km
Coimbatore – 136 Km
Mysore – 150 Km
Kochi – 152 Km
- Varkala– Quaint beach with shacks and a cliff overlooking the sea
Varkala beach Kerala India
If you are looking for a place to rejuvenate yourself, Varkala is where you should be heading!
With high cliffs and gloriously pristine sands, Varkala stands out from the rest of the beach destinations in Kerala. Here’s a tip for you – Don’t miss the sunset at Papanasam beach!
Best Sightseeing Places In Varkala
- The only beach in Kerala with high cliffs and a little seaside.
- The water of Varkala beach is known to have medicinal and curative properties.
- The unique cliffs are home to spas, scouts, sunbathing and relaxing swims and if you got lucky enough you might spot a few dolphins frolicking around.
- It is the ashram of Shri Narayana Guru, the leader of the Ezhava community who propagated the concept of One Caste, One Religion, One God.
- The Sivagiri Pilgrimage is usually conducted here between 30th December to 1st January every year.
Best Place To Stay In Varkala
Look for a hotel at North Helipad Cliff, Kurakkanni Cliff, Papanasam Cliff, Varkala Cliff, or Chillakkoor Beach.
Best Time To Visit Varkala
The best time to visit Varkala would be during the winters (October to February).
How To Reach Varkala?
- Air: Thiruvananthapuram Intl AIrport – 45 Km
- Rail: Thiruvananthapuram Railway Station
- Road: KSRTC Buses
Famous Food/Restaurants To Try In Varkala
- Sreepadam for the amazing Dosas.
- Oottupura Vegetarian Restaurant for delicious vegetarian & South Indian food.
- Hungry Eye Kitchen for Thai & Indian food.
- Tattories Restaurant for Italian dishes & Pastas.
Where To Shop In Varkala?
For your shopping excursions, head here:
- Beach Bazaars
- Seaside Cliffs
- Khadi Store
- Tibetan Shops
Outdoor Activities In Varkala
- Ayurveda massages
- Boat riding
Nearest Places To Travel From Varkala
Alleppey – 130 Km
Kovalam – 50 Km
Thenmala – 71 Km
Poovar – 74 Km
15.Athirappilly is a great place to spend the day drenched in water or go for a trek into the forest
Popularly called ‘India’s very own Niagara’, the Athirapally Falls are the largest waterfalls in Kerala!
Located on the Chalakudy river near the Sholayar range, the Athirapally waterfalls have to be seen to be believed! Such is the beauty of the majestic waterfalls, that they have served as a location for a lot of movies, including Guru, and the magnum opus, Baahubali!. Athirapally is one of the best places to visit in Kerala in August and September.
Best Sightseeing Places In Athirapally Waterfalls
- Located at around 5 kms from Athirapally waterfalls, the Vazhachal waterfalls are a beautiful sight at an elevation of around 390 ft.
- You can use the same ticket purchased for the Athirapally falls to enter the Vazhachal falls.
- The Sholayar Dam is the lifeline of the local people and a picturesque location.
Best Place To Stay In Athirapally Waterfalls
Choose a hotel at East Nada, Kuruppam Road/T.B. Road, or MG Road.
Best Time To Visit Athirapally Waterfalls
The best time to visit would be during the winters (October – February).
However, if you can brave the monsoons, the falls look gorgeous during this time!
How To Reach Athirapally Waterfalls?
- Air: Cochin International Airport – 40 Km
- Rail: Chalakudy Junction – 32 Km
- Road: KSRTC Buses
Famous Food/Restaurants To Try In Athirapally Waterfalls
You can try the local food in the restaurants near Chalakudy river. You can also sample the tribal food at the local toddy shops.
Where To Shop In Athirapally Waterfalls?
There aren’t any places to shop near the waterfalls.
Outdoor Activities In Athirapally Waterfalls
Nearest Places To Travel From Athirapally Waterfalls
Kochi – 67 KM
Ernakulam – 56 KM
- Guruvayur– The most famous Krishna Temple in Kerala
Popularly referred to as ‘Dwaraka of South India’, the Guruvayur temple is considered to be around 5000 years old, making it one of India’s most ancient temples!
16.Best Sightseeing Places In Guruvayur
Punnathur Kotta Elephant Palace:
- This luxurious mansion houses more than 65 elephants.
- The animals are not allowed to work anywhere except for the service of the Lord during temple ceremonies.
Mammiyoor Shiva Temple:
- Anyone going to the Guruvayur temple must visit Mammiyoor as well!
- It is located just 500 metres from the Guruvayur temple.
- In this temple, the shrine of Lord Krishna is worshipped in the form of an episode from Mahabharata where He narrates the Gita to Arjuna on a gigantic chariot.
Best Place To Stay In Guruvayur
Choose a hotel at East Nada, South Nada, or the Outer Ring Road.
Best Time To Visit Guruvayur
The best time to visit Guruvayur would be during the winters (December-February).
How To Reach Guruvayur
- Air: Kochi International Airport – 80 Km
- Rail: Guruvayur Railway Station
- Road: KSRTC Buses
Famous Food/Restaurants To Try In Guruvayur
- Ganapati Bhavan
- KTDC Mangalaya Restaurant
Where To Shop In Guruvayur
Guruvayur has many items to offer from antiques, eatables, embroidery items, clothes and jewellery at the shops around the Guruvayur temple.
Outdoor Activities In Guruvayur
There aren’t any adventure activities here since Guruvayur is essentially a temple town!
Nearest Places To Travel From Guruvayur
Kochi – 61 Km
Kozhikode – 95 Km
This is hardly an exhaustive list of what Kerala has to offer! Kerala is vast and has a lot of hidden gems that are still not entirely explored. Make sure you plan multiple visits to God’s Own Country, to witness all the wonders that this wonderful state has to offer.
Kerala , is one of the most awesome tourist locations in the world and that’s why it is known as ‘Gods Own Country’.Kerala has some of the best destinations in the world for any type family vacation or holiday or honeymoon. Tourist Places in Kerala is an amalgamation of rich cultures, traditions and folk dances and is also the land of elephants, coconuts, backwaters and unique local cuisine.
Widely distributed as fourteen districts, every nook and corner of Kerala has something that is worth exploring. Of the many attractions, here is a list of top 15 tourist places in Kerala (in no particular order) which will make you understand why Kerala is one of the top tourist destinations in India and the world after all which has been names as the most welcoming place in the world to visit in 2020!